Franchise Research 21st Century PBL
- Prompt: You and your Team are going to research a franchise that you could open in Central Kentucky. This is a real world business project. For instance, you might want to open a McDonald’s in Perryville and will research the components and regulations from the franchise. 21st century skills include communication, productivity, critical thinking, collaboration, entrepreneurship, and time management.
- Project Outline: You will analyze geographic, demographic, and economic areas and then conclude a location to place your franchise in Central Kentucky.
- Day 1 Choose a Franchise
- Day 2-3 Research and Analyze potential location sites
- Day 4 Choose a Location, need dimensions of site, any restrictions, etc.
- Day 5-8 Collect Research about the franchise. Cost, Rules, Regulations, etc.
- Day 9-12 Prepare a business presentation (PPT, Prezi, Google) of the items on you rubric.
- Day 13 POL
- Rubric: See attachment
- Learning Targets:
- I can research and collect information on a site location for a business franchise.
- I can explain what demographics are.
- I can explain what geographic are.
- I can describe a mission statement and what is should consist of.
- I can analyze the demographics and Geographic’s of a site location
- I can estimate the costs of opening up a franchise in Central Kentucky
- I can evaluate the overall market for my franchise
- I can evaluate and compare the cost of similar franchises in my franchise industry.
- I can explain a royalty fee.
- I can list rules and regulations of my franchise
- I can create a business presentation to be shared to a relevant audience.
- Group Selection: Students will create their own groups of 3-5.
- Accountability: Students will be assigned different areas and assigned tasks. Each group will have a team leader. The team leaders and facilitator will meet 3-4 times over the course of 13 class days to make sure the group is on schedule.
- Deliverables: Due
- Choose Franchise Day 1
- Turn in Location Day 3
- Collect Data Day 8
- Create Business Presentation Day 12
- POL Day 13
- Project Grading Structure:
- Grades will be given for each due date assignments.
i.Franchise (20 points)
ii.Location (20 points)
iii.Collect Data (50 points)
iv.Create Presentation (50 points)
v.POL (60 points)
- Students will present their Franchise to a relevant audience (business leaders in area).
- We will use Science Fair Model on or about Day 13 to complete POL
- Dress for the POL should be business casual. Examples: Boys slacks and golf. Girls could be slacks with golf shirt, OR business outfit. Conservative is always better when it comes to dressing for a business presentation.
- Review and Extension Model
- At least 12 to 15 Slides
- Make sure to have plenty of Pictures with words and descriptions
- Links to other sites (Example: hyperlink to main franchise site, Franchise Ratings, etc.)
- Make it fun but Professional!!
- 6 x 6 Rule (No more than 6 bullets per page, and NO more than 6 words per bullet)
Please look up the following:
- Find and Research a Franchise
- Overview- one slide about what you’re going to tell in the whole slide like an executive summary cover today! Bullets below
- History/Founders- stand for what mission statement
- Headquarters- map
- Facts (rankings in industry- number ? franchise industry, annual profits- how much money are they making a year??? left in bank account- www.hoovers.net net income statement revenue minus expenses rent electricity water etc., = net income profits income statement or net income statement, growth potential,-growing or shrinking percentage of growth, etc.)
- CEO, CFO, etc. same as before salary
- Cost every franchise has a fee, just to open a building and you had to pay them royalty fees? Cost to open
- Rules/Regulations to follow (building sizes, years as employee, etc.) every business has rules and regulations (you have to be stand alone is an example)
- Requirements (assets, what you own, cash liquidity money you can turn In to money right now money you have on you, etc.) – dollar figure
- Year’s experience years of an employee
- Stock Price as of 9/13 last five years graph with numbers ( if not a stock write not publically traded on slide)
- Any other info deemed important cool stuff